Pros and cons of using a liquid flat roof
Whether its a commercial building or a residential one, liquid roofing or EPDM coating, is a great roofing solution. The coating material is made of a synthetic rubber compound that’s suitable for either low-slope or flat roofs. Flat roofs are a common choice especially for home extensions or conversions in some cases. Before deciding on what works best for you, it is better to understand some of the advantages and shortcomings of the EPDM roofing solution.
Pros of using a liquid flat roofing
- It is a cost-effective option. The liquid rubber roof coating is an affordable option compared to any other roofing solution. Its affordability is one of the many things that make it a common choice.
- It is suitable for DIY applications. The coating material only needs one coat and it’s also easy to install or apply.
- It’s applied cold. This means that you won’t need any heating during the application process.
- The EPDM guarantees you an extended roof life. If your roof was in a relatively good condition, it will be protected from the natural elements and it’s also suitable for sealing any cracks or seams.
- Low maintenance cost. This type of roofing requires little to no maintenance. It doesn’t show dirt easily or allow for the growth of moss or algae.
- Water resistance. EPDM coating makes for a great solution because it’s water repellant upon application.
- The EPDM roofing materials are eco-friendly. This is because they’re made using recycled materials.
- Highly durable. The cured liquid roof coatings do not scratch easily and can withstand extreme weather conditions and temperatures.
- It is relatively easy to repair. This type of roofing is easy to repair and install making it a convenient option.
Cons of liquid roofing
- If not applied properly and uniformly the final look might not be as appealing.
- You’ll need to hire a specialist to handle the application because if it’s done poorly, the outcome won’t be pleasing. This means you need to find qualified builders to handle the application for better results. This way your specialist will know how to maneuver through the lanterns, chimneys and other obstacles.
- Just because it is durable doesn't mean that it can’t wear and tear. Falling branches can cause the rubber to tear hence needing early repair to their waterproof state.
- It can get slippery over time because of its water resistant property, making it less safe for anyone going up there to service the roof. Whoever does the repairs needs to be careful.
It can get slippery over time because of its water resistant property, making it less safe for anyone going up there to service the roof. Whoever does the repairs needs to be careful.