How to convert a garden shed into an office
Having a comfortable working space is essential for everyone. With working from home becoming so common, it’s only logical to ensure that you have a suitable working space. Whether you’re working as a freelancer or you just have the option of working remotely from time to time, everyone needs space that motivates their productivity. From attic conversions, loft conversions to garden sheds, there are many things one can turn into a home office.
So, what happens when you want to turn your garden shed into an office? First, you need to hire a qualified building company to get the job done. The whole process will involve conversion of the shed to an office.
The design and type of shed you have will have a significant impact on the office you’ll end up with. The specialists at WhatShed.co.uk highlight that a quality shed is an essential purchase. It should also provide a great spot to relax in or pursue a craft activity.
In this case, it should be ideal to set up your working space. We shall have a look at what you need to know when it comes to converting your garden shed into a home office.
Things to consider when converting your garden shed to an office
Just like any other construction project, building a garden office needs thorough planning. From the material selection to design of your garden shed, everything needs to be thought through carefully. Below are some of the important things you need to consider:
1. Determining the condition of the shed
If the shed is in good condition, very little work will need to be done. This will help you plan accordingly since you'll know what needs to be done as well as the type of material needed.
2. Ensure there’s proper insulation in the shed
Your office should be suitable for all weather conditions. Especially during winter, good house insulation will ensure you have a warm place to work in.
3. Proper lighting in the shed
The type of lighting you want to have in your working space plays a very important role. Good lighting ensures that your productivity level isn’t affected at all. You can either choose to have artificial lighting or natural lighting.
4. The ventilation of the shed
If there’s no ventilation, you’ll need to consider that during your renovation process.
5. Ensure there’s electricity
For an office to function effectively, you’ll need electricity. You also need to ensure that there’s an adequate amount of sockets in what will be your new office.
6. Internet and WIFI connection
With good internet connectivity, you’ll be able to go about your daily tasks without any problems.
7. Furniture selection and decoration
Once you’re done with every other aspect of the shed, you need to decide on the interior design of your office shed. You also need to choose suitable furniture and ensure everything else is in place.
Advantages of having an office shed
Remote working is becoming so popular these days, and there are several advantages associated with it. Not only do you get to save your time but you also get to avoid the hassle of commuting daily. With several designs of garden offices that you can opt for, we shall have a look at some of the advantages of having one.
- You get to have an office design of your choice. From the outward appearance of the office to any high end interior design you may want to incorporate, you get to create a space that suits your taste and needs.
- Increasing the value of your property. Just like having an extension, conversion or a refurbishment are suitable means of improving the value of property, it is no different when it comes to transforming a shed to a garden office.
- You have more control over how you utilize your time. Unlike a 9-5 job, you have the freedom to spend your time as you please. Of course, you get to work but your schedule is more flexible with a garden office; you’re not bound to the 9-5 schedule.
- You get a peaceful working environment. We can all agree that with an office located in the city, there is very little when it comes to serenity. With a garden office, you get to have a peaceful and quiet environment to work in.
- Opportunity to attain a proper balance between your home and work life. Although it might be hard balancing between the two, converting your shed into a comfortable office space might be the answer.
- Getting a less stressful working environment. One interesting fact is that working in an environment surrounded by nature reduces stress levels for individuals. Converting a shed to a garden office space guarantees you just that. Perhaps, that’s why we see most offices adopting green plants in their interior decor.
Getting a less stressful working environment. One interesting fact is that working in an environment surrounded by nature reduces stress levels for individuals. Converting a shed to a garden office space guarantees you just that. Perhaps, that’s why we see most offices adopting green plants in their interior decor.
From having proper insulation to having your desired interior design, getting a suitable garden office doesn’t have to be a cumbersome task. With the right architectural and design services, getting a working space that suits your style and needs is achievable.
The design of your office will influence your productivity hence the need to not compromise on such. After all, you will be setting the mood for your working environment.